When I go into Goodwill looking for something specific, it usually doesn’t work out.    This time must’ve been the exception to the rule.   A friend mentioned that she was looking for furniture to setup a makeup studio in her home.  She wanted a small vanity or something similar to store all of her supplies.  On my next trip to Goodwill, I found this gray, metal cart.  It looked like something used for storing tools in the garage.

With a little tweaking, I thought it could be a versatile piece to use for her makeup.   The first thing I did was give it several coats of spray paint.  I used Rustoleum’s Gloss Sun Yellow.   It seemed really hard to get an even smooth coverage so I had several rounds of spraying, sanding, spraying again – which takes some time – and the finish still didn’t come out the way I wanted it to. I must be doing something wrong.

After painting,  I drilled four holes in the two drawers.  This was my first time selecting a drill bit and drilling through metal. It took some trial and error on the first hole to get the size right for the knobs I already had on hand (use what you got!).

Originally, I wanted to use a pretty striped paper on the top surface with a piece of plexiglass to cover it.   I didn’t realize plexiglass, at least in that size, is quite pricey!   It would’ve been cheaper to use a piece of real glass.  I scrapped that plan and went with plan B :  vinyl shelf liner.   I used this black and white design by Con-Tact.

shelf liner

The liner is non-adhesive, but for the very top of the cart, I used a spray adhesive I already had to keep it in place and make it easy to wipe.   We lined  the drawers also but without the additional spray adhesive.

A little paint, some knobs, and shelf liner made this metal cart much more presentable for indoor use.

I styled it as a bar cart, since I love them, but really it could be used in a bathroom, a kitchen, or even in a craft room.  My friend is going to use it for her makeup so when she gets it home and setup I’ll have to take a picture to share.

Have you repurposed or remade anything lately?
-J

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Tagged with:

21 Responses to Tool Cart Makeover

1. Patty Day says:

AMAZING, SIMPLY AMAZING!

2. Allyson says:

Wow! That a great find! I Would have never thought to transform it like this! It looks so amazing and I love the yellow color! Perfect!!!

3. Hi Jae! I’m visiting from the Atlanta bloggers page. This cart turned out amazing! You did a great job! I have a fear of spray paint. I know what you mean about getting the finish to turn out right – it’s tricky. I really like the yellow! :)

• J. says:

It sure is tricky! I think it’s best for me to only spray paint small objects, nothing too large! Thanks Kristen.

4. This is perfection! The color and the detail of lining the inside is just perfection!
    xo
    Robin

5. Merrit says:

This looks awesome! I have been dying to get a bar cart for my apartment, and I love that happy yellow color! I wanted to let you know I nominated you for a Liebster Award, read all about it here http://bit.ly/17hR1hB

6. So cute! It turned out great. I love the yellow!

7. Melanie says:

Nice..creative reuse, I like the bold color too. I know what you mean about going into Goodwill and not finding what you’re looking for. You kind of have to have an open mind. Can’t wait to see the other setup!

8. So cute! It is quirky and stylish – a great new piece! And you can’t tell the finish isn’t perfect.

9. This is adorable. I want one!

10. Becky says:

So cute, love the bright yellow color!

11. jenny says:

It is completely transformed! I love it! You know, if I use Rustoleum’s paint/primer combo I get a very bumpy finish, almost like sand in the paint. Can’t figure out why!

12. This turned out so cute!! Love the colors!

13. Love this! Very clever! Thanks for the idea.

14. Great makeover! It’s so cute and cheery now :)

15. J. says:

Thanks guys!

16. This is so great! And I love the color you chose!