It’s that time again.  It’s time for the Pinterest Challenge.  This is a challenge started by Katie Bower (over at Bower Power) that encourages you to stop pinning (on Pinterest) and start doing.  Check out my inspiration wall, silver-leafed chalkboard, word art, and closet update from the last year of challenges.

For this challenge, I created my own work of art in the form of an abstract painting.   Here’s inspiration I pinned months ago:

I don’t have any other abstract art in the house, but I just found these to be super striking.   I started with an old canvas painting (the artist signed ’1993′) from Goodwill and regular acrylic and latex paint.   I primed the canvas first.

Next, I painted a fresh coat of white primer over the entire canvas again and let that dry.   I mixed a little black paint in with my navy paint to create a midnight blue kind of color.  Then I just painted the bottom of the canvas solid and as I moved up left some random, uneven strokes trail into the white area.

So that’s my first abstract painting.  At first, I liked Tanya’s (from Dans le Townhouse) better, but mine has grown on me. I really like it.  I’m definitely glad I tried it. It’s inspired me to experiment with some other ideas and colors.  Have you created your own work of art – abstract or otherwise?
-J

Images 1|2

Sharing with Tutes & Tips, HOH, YoungHouseLove, Ugly Duckling House, BowerPower, Our Fifth House, Wow Us Wednesdays

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

11 Responses to Abstract Art

1. Aurora says:

It makes me think of a skyline!

2. This is stunning! Love the simplicity and graphicness of it!

3. Vanessa says:

Love this! So graphic!

4. Oh, I disagree! I like YOURS better! I like the peaks and change in height. It looks amazing, especially how you styled the “after” photo! If you don’t mind, I’ll be sharing this on my blog :)

5. I like where you placed it too with the large stripes on that bench. Perfect little nook!

6. Megan says:

I love it! It turned out so well…so much better than I would have thought. Looks great! I would LOVE for you to link this up at my Ginger Jamboree Link Party!!

7. Tamsyn says:

This turned out so great! I’m a big fan of Tanya’s piece too and I think yours turned out just as good. I’m inspired to give it a go myself.

8. Kate says:

It’s great! I’m really inspired by all the abstract art on Pinterest, too! Just waiting until we move into our new house until I try my own. :)

9. Sarah says:

It looks great! I’ve had some DIY abstract art pinned for a while, but I’m concerned that my perfectionist side would never be happy with it, so I’ve yet to tackle it as a project. Maybe next time the Pinterest challenge rolls around?
    Sarah